Avast Free Antivirus, though free, is excellent in imitating the security of premium, paid solutions. It is compatible with the latest Windows operating systems on the market and offering great seat of features.
Surfshark Antivirus review
Surfhshark Antivirus is a new security product from a popular VPN brand Surfshark which joined forces with NordVPN team at the beginning of this year on the way to become one of the most recognised VPN brands in the industry.
Although many users now choose VPN to protect their digital lives, antivirus is still a must for a complete protection against malware and other online threats. So where's the Surfshark antivirus different from its competition?
Don't want to read the full review? Here's what's important:
👍 What we like: Simple & clean design, Extra features such as unlimited VPN and ad-free search, License for up to 5 devices
☝ What could be better: It's not the cheapest solution though very comparable with other AVs (it's cheaper if you consider also the price of VPN)
If you've ever used Surfshark VPN, you will have same expectation for it's antivirus solution regarding how simple and clean the user interface is. And you won't be disappointed.
Surfshark Antivirus, much like it's VPN, comes with a very simple & clean user interface which is great for users who don't want to spend hours tweaking the settings and prefer to "install and forget" solution to protect their devices.
This applies also for users who are less tech-savvy and need a really simple solution to protect their device.
Features of Surfshark Antivirus
Along the basic features such as antivirus scans and real-time protection Surfshark Antivirus includes unlimited VPN, Personal data leak protection, and private search engine which is also ad free.
- Surfshark Antivirus: File scanning and active protection from viruses and malwares
- Surfshark VPN: Privacy-focused tool that hides your location and secures sensitive data
- Surshark Alert: Tool for detection and alerts on data breaches related to your accounts in real-time
- Surfshark Search: Anonymous search engine which is completely ad-free (this is available on https://search.surfshark.com/)
Pricing & Money-back guarantee
How much does Surfshark Antivirus cost? As mentioned previously, it's not the cheapest option you can find though it's very competitive against other alternatives. What's important here that for the price of an AV you are getting a bundle along with a VPN which often costs more than AV alone.
You can choose from a three different tiers offering 1-month, 1-year, and 2 years subscription. (🤫 Pssst: don't forget to use our link to get to the offer below and save 83% on 1-year plan)
The price of the cheapest plan is $2.49/ month (or $29.88 for full year) which is great if you consider that VPN alone often costs more than $2 with the biggest discounts.
Surfshark offers 30 days money-back guarantee so all the plans are fully refundable which means you don't have to worry about commitment.
For the price of $29.88 you can use Surfshark Antivirus on up to 5 devices and it supports all the major platforms such as macOS, Windows, Linux, Android or iOS. If you've already purchased Surfshark license, you can download installation file from the official links below:
- Download Surfshark on macOS
- Download Surfshark on Windows
- Download Surfshark on Android (get .APK here)
- Download Surfshark on iOS
- Download Surfshark on FireTV
- Download Surfshark on AndroidTV
- You need to use your email address to log in which is used as a main identification of the purchase
- Surfshark is collecting anonymous application usage data with some basic information about your device (such as operating system and device version) - this is for troubleshooting if something with app is going wrong
3) After the sign-on, you will get to the main dashboard where you can choose between different product if you've opted for a Surfshark One subscription which consists of these products (from the top):
- Surfshark VPN (popular VPN and the leading product of Surfshark)
- Surfshark Alert (security feature which guards your accounts from data breaches)
- Surfshark Antivirus
- Surfshark Search (anonymous search engine with purely organic results)
Scanning with Surfshark Antivirus
When you first get to the Antivirus tab you have only the option to launch the Quick scan.
Before you are able to continue to the scan, you will have to allow Surfshark antivirus to run in your system preferences (this is relevant only to the MacOS users). Once this is solved you will finally able to launch the app and use it.
The main antivirus dashboard contains information about the last scan, last time of virus database update and a very few settings related to scheduling of scans and notifications.
Quick scan is indeed very quick and will not take much of your time. For in-depth scanning we are always recommending to launch a full-scan once a week.
Additional settings of Surfshark antivirus
Surfshark keeps a very simple user interface so there's not plenty of things you will be able to configure which is great for less tech-savvy users. You can choose whether you want to see the application in dark or light mode and the app language.
Surfshark reviews & ratings
We've also checked the Surfshark reviews and ratings on Google Play store, Trustpilot and iOS store. On all three portals Surfshark is receiving great user feedback and lots of positive reviews.
My experience with Surfshark antivirus after 1 month
So I've been using Surfshark Antivirus for over a month now on my main computer with MacOS and I can still recommend it. There are two things which I enjoyed the most.
The Surfshark antivirus is so lightweight I don't even know about it. It does the job on the background without bothering me.
The second good thing is it's integrated (..and unlimited) VPN. I've tested the Surfshark VPN in the past and liked how simple it is. It just worked whenever I needed it. Considering that you will pay $2.21/month for VPN alone, getting extra antivirus and identity monitoring for $3.98/month in total isn't a big deal.
Obviously, you can will have to make your own decision but for me, spending little under 4 bucks a month for complete protection online was definitely worth it.
Avast Free Antivirus
Avast Free Antivirus is a computer security software developed by Avast Softwares headquartered in Prague. The company was launched in 1988 by Eduard Kucera and Pavel Baudis who are still on the board today.
Avast started developing anti-malware in 1995, and by 2001, they produced the first fremium antivirus. 2018 statistics indicate that Avast commands 17.04% of the anti-malware application market.
Anti-malware is a software that is designed to detect and remove malicious software from your computer. They include trojans, viruses, spyware, adware, ransomware, and worms. A virus is a contagious form of malware that infects one software on your computer and spreads to other software just like the biological virus.
Avast Free Antivirus, though free, is excellent in imitating the security of premium, paid solutions. It is compatible with the latest Windows operating systems on the market.
The Avast Free Antivirus method of protection comes in two layers. The first layer involves scanning all the files and comparing the files to known malware. The second layer involves monitoring of activities and detection of any malware attack. Suspicious files are then sent to the Avast lab to get analysed. If the suspicious item is found to be malicious, it’s signature as malware is sent to all the other avast users.
Avast shares the malware detection engine with AVG – another antivirus software produced by AVG technologies which was acquired by Avast in 2016.
The free antivirus has browser add-ons that will protect you from accessing suspicious websites on your computer. The add-on is also responsible for scanning all downloads and email attachments. These scans are conducted before an item is downloaded to prevent the user from downloading malicious software.
Avast Free Antivirus has pretty high lab scores. Unlike many free antiviruses that don’t test their free products in the lab, Avast does test and even releases the results. Independent antivirus testers, AV-Comparatives, test antiviruses and give a standard rating to products that pass their tests while those that show advanced capabilities are given an Advanced or Advanced+ rating. We followed 4 of the tests on Avast and 3 of them earned an advanced+ while one earned an advanced rating which is impressive.
In 2018 Avast Free Antivirus won award “Product of the Year” by AV-Comparatives – read the full report here.
Features of Avast Free Antivirus
Avast software seeks to create a powerful protective antivirus software. In this article, we are going to look at the features offered by the 2018 version of Avast free antivirus.
Unlike the threat detection engine that detects programs that are similar to malware and eliminates them, the cybercapture feature is different. Cybercapture detects suspicious items and sends them to the avast lab for analysis. The results of the analysis are sent back to you. If the analysis discovers that the said program is a virus or malware, it is added to the virus signature library and will be detected as a virus and eliminated by the avast antivirus if detected. This is a protective mechanism that helps eliminate viruses before they spread.
With a single click, you can choose from the scan options including the smart scan, targeted scan, boot time scan, and custom scans. After scanning, programs detected as harmful are quarantined while those that are suspicious are flagged.
Avast free antivirus protects files via an array of shields including:-
- Behavior shield – Accesses the behavior of programs and stops it and notifies you if it finds something suspicious.
- Web Shield – This analyses data from your computer network and stops any suspicious files before they enter your computer.
- Mail shield – this one analyses email attachments and prevents them from being downloaded if it detects anything suspicious from them.
Harmful files and suspicious files are stopped and flagged. They are then moved into the virus chest where they are dormant, non-operatable and inaccessible. Here you can review them and choose to submit them to the avast lab, delete them or restore them. The feature that does this is called virus containment.
Detect WiFi issues
This feature helps secure your WiFi by detecting:
- Weak passwords
- Obsolete and vulnerable firmware
- Open network ports
- Non-encrypted wireless networks
- DNS hacking
This feature scans your computer, detects the version of your software then scans the internet for the availability of later versions. If it finds another version, it will notify you or automatically update the software depending on your settings.
This feature provides:
- A password generator
- Synchronization across your other devices with avast antivirus.
- Imports passwords from your browsers.
- Provides a login form filler
- Password saving (automatic)
- Saves encrypted notes.
This feature will encrypt your data that is exchanged across the public network and prevent access and monitoring by unauthorized persons.
This helps in freeing up space and deleting residual files hence improving your device’s performance. It replaces the obsolete Avast Grimefighter app although this is a premium feature not available in a free version.
This shields the computer from threats while playing online games and also improves performance by freeing up memory and prioritizing CPU focus on the game.
Pros and Cons of Avast Free Antivirus
Avast free antivirus may not offer all the features Avast premier, security and ultimate offer but you don’t have to pay anything for it. The services you’ll get are definitely worth way more than the zero pricing.
Easy to Install and use
The installation and use of Avast free antivirus is easy and straight forward. All you have to do is ensure you have the administrator privileges with no other antivirus installed in your device prior and you are good to go.
Below are the steps of installing the antivirus in your device.
- Download the antivirus from www.Avast.com/free-antivirus-download.
- Double click on the installation file. You’ll be presented with an option to change the language of installation where you’ll click a drop-down menu at the top right-hand corner and click on it.
- Click install.
A user-friendly interface
The Avast free antivirus interface is so simple anyone who can use a computer can use it. There is a lot of space on it and no numerous icons that could confuse anyone or force you to call their customer care. The interface is quite appealing too with its beautiful theme color.
Low system requirements
It is a generally light software that can work on any device without slowing it down. It has a low memory usage too – It flushes it’s a memory at 10 second-intervals thus freeing the memory for other applications during scanning.
The Independent IT-Security Institute’s website gives avast a score of 5.5 out of 6 on protection. The Avast antivirus scores very highly in comparison to other free antiviruses.
- Zero cost
- Low system requirements
- User-friendly interface
- Real-time protection.
- High scores in virus protection
- It protects your device from WiFi hacking
- Automatic software updates
- Only for home use
- Advertising for premium version is sometimes too obtrusive
Avast free antivirus is generally better than many premium antivirus software available today, so they say. Based on tests done by AV-comparatives, there is a lot of truth in it.The free version of Avast is very similar to the paid version save a few features. Avast claims it provides the minimum protection a computer should have.
Avast free antivirus is available in 37 languages – no other free antivirus offers that. It, however, can’t be used at work as it is meant for home use only. It also can’t run on multiple devices. Avast Free Antivirus also doesn’t offer one feature that the Avast Pro, which is the paid version offers. The feature is the SafeZone technology. This feature keeps the users account information safe when online.
Avast Free Antivirus is closer to the paid Avast Pro than any other free antivirus is to their paid version. It is a good choice for your personal computer at home and better still if you don’t use your computer for highly classified work. However, for a work computer, the Avast Pro version is recommended.
AVG Antivirus Free
AVG Antivirus began life as Anti-Virus Guard, but this was later abbreviated to AVG. AVG is an antivirus produced by AVG technologies and is currently owned by Avast Software. The antivirus was developed in 1992 in the Czech Republic.
It was launched in Germany and the UK in 1997 and introduced later in the US in 1998. The main aim of introducing the AVG free version was a marketing strategy to create an awareness of the AVG product.
In 2006, Ewido Networks – an anti-spyware group – was acquired by AVG technologies. This allowed AVG to expand its service offerings to include anti-spyware. Additional acquisitions followed further expanding the services available:
2007 of XPL (Exploit Prevention Lab) led to the incorporation of XPL’s LinkScanner safe search and surf technology. 2009’s Sana Security acquisition allowed AVG to incorporate identity theft features into the product. AVG was then acquired by Avast Software in 2016 for a cost of $1.3 billion. Currently, over 200 million people use AVG all over the world.
In this article, we’re going to look at the features, protection capabilities, advantages, and disadvantages of AVG. We are also going to give you some recommendations on why, when and if you should use AVG free antivirus.
Before we look at the AVG free antivirus, let’s look at what the paid versions of AVG offer that is not available on the free version.
With the paid version of AVG, you get internet security for an unlimited number of devices – usually $70 per year for the AVG internet security. This version also offers better webcam and anti-ransomware protection plus a mobile app version.
A more expensive version is the AVG ultimate package that goes for $100 a year on unlimited devices. This provides:
- extra file encryption,
- disk cleaner,
- remote system lock & unlock feature,
- email protection, and
- startup optimizer.
AVG free antivirus can work on all Windows operating systems from Windows XP, Windows Vista through to Windows 10. Capabilities range from the scanning of potentially harmful programs to blocking them entirely. Apart from protection AVG free antivirus also offers a performance optimizer and a file shredder. The file shredder is quite useful in removing all your unwanted photos from a device.
The malware detection technology of AVG is shared with its sister company Avast. AVG still retains its interface and unique feel and look.
Just like Avast, the detection engine operates by comparing programs with malware signatures in its library database. The engine also detects suspicious programs and uploads them to the AVG lab where the program is analyzed, and reports are sent back. If an application is found to be a virus, it is added to the virus signature database and tracked appropriately for all subscribers.
The free version doesn’t offer much protection against ransomware other than monitoring. It does, however, offers protection against spyware and email attachments.
AVG has a host of features that help recommend it. Here are some of the most significant selling points.
- Zero cost: AVG anti-virus comes at no cost unlike the AVG internet protection and AVG ultimate. Even though the latter two offer extra features that are not available on the free version, it is a worthy alternative for basic protection. Especially considering it comes at zero cost.
- Schedule Scan: This feature allows you to schedule when to perform a quick scan on your computer (daily, weekly or monthly). It also allows you to set when not to scan – for instance, when running on battery power. You can also further personalize it to pause at the beginning of battery mode and even turn off your computer when scanning is done.
- Antivirus and Antispyware Engines: The AVG free antivirus has fully functional antispyware and antivirus engines for detection and subsequent removal or containment of the malware.
- Link Scanner: The AVG free antivirus has the LinkScanner feature that scans links to websites that contain malware or are suspicious and blocks your device from accessing those websites.
- High Compatibility: AVG free antivirus can be used on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, 8 and 10 and Mac OS. This makes it highly compatible since most PCs run on those operating systems.
- Email Scanner: This feature scans emails for malicious attachments and blocks the computer from downloading them.
- Regular Updates: The AVG lab keeps adding new virus and malware signatures to its database library on a daily basis. More clients keep sending suspicious programs and some of these programs after analysis are found to be harmful. A well-updated software has all the latest signatures hence enabling it to detect more harmful programs in your computer. This feature automatically updates your antivirus to ensure it has all the latest malware signatures in its database.
- Specific Scanning: This feature allows you to exclude certain files and folders from the directories you want to be scanned. This feature can be used to protect files and folders that are erroneously detected as malicious by the antivirus.
Advantages of AVG free antivirus
Here are some benefits of AVG free antivirus over other antivirus and the paid versions of AVG.
- Zero cost – unlike the AVG Internet Security and AVG Ultimate, the AVG free antivirus comes at no cost.
- User-friendly interface – the AVG interface is simple to use and pleasing to the eye with its dark background and white and green font.
- Offers the most crucial protection features – through one misses out on features such as anti-ransomware protection and webcam protection, the very basic protection one needs on their PC are offered at no cost. This includes scanning for potentially harmful programs, blocking harmful programs from entering your device, performance, and file shredder.
- It is easy to install and run – simply launch the installer, and it will automatically download files from the internet. You can only install when the computer is connected to the internet though.
- It is easy to switch from the free version to the paid versions.
- It requires minimum system resources hence ideal for home computer use.
Disadvantages of AVG Free Antivirus
- No comprehensive protection – though offering basic protection at no cost, the user misses out on strong firewall protection and other features such as anti-ransomware, webcam protection, extra file encryption, disk cleaner, remote system lock & unlock feature, email protection, and startup optimizer.
- Upgrade prompts always popping up.
AVG Free antivirus is generally easy to use, with low system requirements. The software offers you above average protection from malware, and the interface is appealing to the eye. You, however, miss out on some features such as extra file encryption, startup optimizer, anti-ransomware, webcam protection, and others.
Despite this, you still get a pretty good quality normal everyday protection at no cost.
Unless you’re using your device for high-security jobs or feel your device is very likely to be targeted by scammers and schemers, AVG free antivirus is a decent antivirus for you. It is best suited for a home computer. The good thing about it is you can easily upgrade to AVG Internet Protection or AVG Ultimate in case you decide to change the way you use your computer and the kind of data you save on it.