IPVanish VPN is a virtual private network. It was designed and developed by Mudhook Media Inc., a subsidiary firm of Highwinds Network Group based in Orlando, Florida. StackPath acquired Highwinds Network Group in 2017. Released in 2012, IPVanish provides secure private browsing for internet users. With end-to-end network encryption, its users can connect to public virtual servers in 75+ locations around the world. By linking to any of the servers, the user’s IP is masked, and a shared IP is allocated. This shared IP represents the IP that would be seen on the web while browsing.
When IPVanish was initially released, it had only 32 servers and Microsoft Windows client application. Presently, it is compatible with Android and iOS devices. For computers, it works on Linux, Mac, and Microsoft Windows operating systems. It also works on Fire TVs, Chromebook, Windows Phone, Routers, etc. With a present count of over 1,300 servers and 40,000+ shared IP addresses, IPVanish ensures secure data traffic for its user while also keeping their activities private. Is IPVanish an excellent VPN service? How does it work? Find out in this new review.
As a commercial VPN service, IPVanish operates a subscription-based model. With the app, you can surf the web without anyone tracking your data or monitoring your browsing activities. The VPN service employs the use of industry-standard security feature, i.e., AES Encryption. This feature helps to keep your data traffic secure from internet service providers, hackers, or government. IPVanish allows users to break through regional restrictions having unparalleled access to content.
IPVanish provides a lot of fantastic features including a no logging policy. This policy is geared to ensuring that no third party has access to a user’s browsing information or activities, including the company. However, research revealed that this policy was breached. In 2016, the company handed over personal information about a particular user to the Department of Homeland Security (HIS). It was reported that the information handed over includes name, email address, subscription details, IP address, and connection logs. This goes against the claims of IPVanish to never log any user information. Although StackPath denied the allegation saying when it acquired the company, there were no existing logs nor logging systems, court documents attest to the claims that the company logged information.
It uses popular OpenVPN, IKEv2, L2TP/IPsec VPN protocols in its applications. IPVanish servers are concentrated in the United States of America. IPVanish maintains server presence in over 6o countries including Australia, Canada, Germany, France, Hong Kong, Netherlands, Turkey, United Kingdom, etc. In July 2016, the company suspended its Russia operations owing to compulsory data retention laws by the country.
Popular review sites such as PC Magazine, CNET, TechRadar, etc. have reviewed it. In 2016, it received the Startup of the Year (Silver Award) from the Info Security PG’s Global Excellence Awards.
IPVanish has a lot of fantastic features, which makes it an excellent VPN service. Notable features include;
Secure Internet Connection
With over 1,300 servers in more than 60 countries, IPVanish provides secure browsing experience for its users. By connecting to any of its servers, your IP address is hidden from the web, and a shared IP is allocated to you. Also, an encrypted tunnel is opened through which every data uploaded and received passes. This makes it hard for your activities to be tracked or monitored by internet service providers (ISPs), hackers, or governments.
No Logging Policy
IPVanish uses 256-bit AES Encryption to secure its user’s data. Reputed to be the industry standard encryption of electronic data. AES encryption makes it extremely difficult for an external computer to have access to traffic data.
The software allows users to download torrents across different regions and countries. You can access your favorite content from the comfort of your home using the VPN. In its April 2017 review, PC Mag reckoned its nonrestrictive BitTorrent practices. It also allows for unlimited P2P traffic.
IPVanish provides unlimited bandwidth for its users. You have a limitless amount of data transfer (upload/download). With this, you can stream/access content on HBO, Skype, Spotify, Youtube, etc. without geographical restrictions.
It has a customer support team which enables it to attend to various customer complaints & suggestions. The service also has verified Facebook and Twitter accounts to connect with its users better.
Support for Multiple Devices
IPVanish is available for Android, iOS, and Windows Phones. It also works with Linux, Mac, and Microsoft Windows operating systems. It also has a Chrome extension and is available on Fire TV and routers. IPVanish allows a maximum of ten simultaneous connections on a single subscription.
VPN Protocols/Web Proxy
It has multiple protocols, i.e., IKEv2, OpenVPN, and L2TP/IPsec, to make it adaptable. When decrypted, it uses the SOCKS5 web proxy to mask user information.
Pros and Cons
- Fast Speed: Having run a few tests on IPVanish servers, we observed that it has a fast connection averaging around 100 Mbps for countries in Europe. Although it is hard to compare this speed with other VPN services, we conclude that IPVanish offers relatively fast speed.
- Secure Connection: You can browse using the service with a private connection. With over 40,000 shared IPs, it masks your IP address and assigns another for browsing. It uses the AES encryption feature to ensure that every data traffic on the server is secured. Every test carried out shows it has IPv6 and DNS leak protection.
- Kill Switch: This feature stops all internet applications for uploading data when the VPN is disconnected. It is however available only on the desktop client application for Mac and Windows.
- Easy to Use Interface: The software’s layout is well-designed, making it easy to locate different categories and settings.
- Multiple Connections: It allows up to 10 device connections on a single subscription.
- It enables Torrenting and P2P traffic. It is also compatible with Tor, and some of its servers bypass Netflix VPN-detection systems.
- Weak Customer Support: Although it promotes a 24/7 support system on its website, we observed that the system doesn’t have a live chat feature. Also sending tickets doesn’t generate an immediate response. Averagely, it takes 1 – 2 days before they respond to tickets.
- Money-Back guarantee: It offers a seven day money-back guarantee period for users who find the service ineffective. Asides this, iOS users are not eligible for the 7-day money back guarantee. This period is small compared to other VPN service such as ExpressVPN, HostpotShield with 30 days and 45 days, respectively.
IPVanish is not free neither does it have a trial software. It has three subscription plans, i.e.
- 1 Month Plan: This is a monthly package priced at $10/month.
- 3 Month Plan: This plan is available at $8.99/month.
- 1 Year Plan: This plan is priced at $5.19/month for 12 months. It also features an extra three months free subscription.
IPVanish is compatible with Android, iOS, and Windows Phones. It is available on Linux, Mac, Microsoft Windows operating systems, Fire TV, and routers.
IPVanish is a VPN service. It has over 40,000 shared IPs on 1,300+ servers across over 60 countries. It allows torrenting and P2P traffic. You can access geo-restricted content by connecting to any of its servers. IPVanish is available on major devices such as Android, iOS, and computers with Linux, Mac, Microsoft Windows operating systems. To learn more about the service, visit the website.