What is an IP address?
An IP address is a sequence of numbers separated with periods. An IP address is a four-digit number string. For example, 126.96.36.199 might be an example. Each number can be anywhere from 0 through 255. The IP address range is 0.0.0.0 up to 255.255.255.255.255.255.255.255.
IP addresses can be assigned randomly. They are mathematically generated and assigned by the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority, a division the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers. ICANN, a non-profit organisation, was founded in the United States in 1998 in order to protect the internet and make it accessible to all. Every domain registration on the internet requires that a domain name registrar be used. This registrar pays a small fee for ICANN.
Hide My IP Address
How do I find out my IP address?
There are many simple ways to find your public IP address. A free online tool like on this page is the best way to locate your IP address. It will quickly give you your IP address, location, and ISP.
Google search is another way to locate your public IP address. Google search can be used to quickly find your IP address.
These tools will tell you your Public IP Address, the one used by the internet to locate your network but not the local IP address behind the router.
How do I hide my IP address?
You can hide your IP address by using a proxy server, or a virtual private network (VPN). Tor is another option, but it is very slow and not recommended for most people.
Proxy servers are intermediary servers that route your traffic. You only see the proxy server's IP address and not your own IP address when you visit internet servers. These servers send information back from you to the proxy server. The proxy server then routes it to your computer. Proxy servers can be a problem because many services are shady and spy on you, inserting ads in your browser, or even sneaking into your computer.
VPN is the better option. VPN is a better option. When your computer connects to the VPN (or any other device such as a tablet or smartphone), it acts as though it is on the same network as the VPN. All network traffic is sent to the VPN over a secure connection. Your computer acts as though it is connected to the internet, allowing you to access local network resources securely even if you are on the other end of the globe. The VPN will allow you to use the Internet as though you were there. This is especially useful if your computer is connected to public Wi-Fi and you want to access geo-blocked sites.
Hide My IP Address
Why you might want to hide your IP address
There are many reasons why you might want to hide IP addresses. Let's look at the most popular ones.
1. Protecting your online privacy We have shown that your IP address can be displayed on this page. This means that anyone can see where you go online. You can hide your IP address if you don't want to be tracked by search engines, ISPs, or ad networks. You can surf anonymously while surfing the Internet.
2, Avoiding government censorship Certain governments monitor and censor online activity of citizens. These data could be used against you to prove your anti-government sentiments, and even lead to criminal charges. This can be avoided by hiding your IP address whenever you are online.
3. Protection against hackers - Hackers can use your IP address to track you and other government agencies, as well as search engines and ISPs. These evil entities might not only want to track your movements but may also be able learn your identity and whereabouts via your IP address. This exposes you to malware and other digital attacks.
4. Safely using public WiFi Free WiFi Is everywhere these days, and can be very appealing to people who don't have a WiFi network at home or those on the move. It sounds wonderful, but free WiFi without hiding you IP address could be disastrous. Hackers can easily compromise data from unsuspecting users by using free and unsecure WiFi networks. They won't be able to see your true IP address, and possibly use it against you.
5. Accessing geo blocked content There are restrictions in place for downloading and streaming services. This may be due to copyright laws, which are meant to block you from downloading torrents from sites that offer them. Hide your IP address to bypass these blocks and gain access to any website on the Internet.
6. Overcoming organizational online restrictions Your school or workplace may limit your access to certain sites if you use their network and IP address. You can bypass these restrictions by hiding your IP address.
Hide My IP Address
Does Norton hide my IP address?
VPN from Norton will hide your IP address however you should consider other VPNs on the market with more affordable pricing and better features - check our research about best VPNs in 2021.
How to hide my IP address for free online?
The easiest way how to hide your IP address online is to use a free VPN. While there are number of free VPN services on the market, only a few of them are worth it. We have good experience with AtlasVPN (check out our review here) or consider other premium VPNs. You can get a VPN for as little as $0.99 for 7-days.
Does ExpressVPN have what is my IP tool?
Yes - almost all VPNs offer this kind of tool on their website. You can find out what is your IP address on this site as well.